Ariadne Auf Naxos

Buy tickets
PreviousFebruary 2022
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Program and cast

Stage director: Katie Mitchell
Additional texts: Martin Crimp
Set design: Chloe Lamford
Choreography: Joseph W. Alford
Costume design: Sarah Blenkinsop
Lighting design: James Farncombe
Production: Gran Teatre del Liceu, Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg, Finnish National Opera and Ballet and Royal Danish Oper
Symphony Orchestra of the Gran Teatre del Liceu
Conductor: Josep Pons


Cast


Major-Domo: Maik Solbach
    
Music master: José Antonio López
    
Composer: Samantha Hankey - 22th,26th,28th September and 3th October
Paula Murrihy - 27th,29th September and 2th,4th October
Tenor (Bacchus): Nikolai Schukoff - 22th,26th,28th September and 3th October
Brandon Jovanovich - 27th,29th September and 2th,4th October
Officer: Josep Fadó
    
Dancing master: Roger Padullés
    
Wig maker Jorge Rodríguez Norton
    
Lackey: David Lagares
    
Zerbinetta: Elena Sancho Pereg - 22th,26th,28th September and 3th October
Sara Blanch - 27th,29th September and 2th,4th October
Prima donna (Ariadne): Iréne Theorin - 22th,26th,28th September and 3th October
Johanni van Oostrum - 27th,29th September and 2th,4th October
Harlequin: Benjamin Appl
    
Naiad: Sonia de Munck
    
Dryad: Annaïs Masllorens
    
Echo: Núria Vilà
    
Scaramuccio: Vicenç Esteve
    
Truffaldino: Alex Rosen
    
Brighella: Juan Noval Moro

Gran Teatre del Liceu

Barcelona's opera house, the Gran Teatre del Liceu, was founded on the Rambla in 1847 and has continued over the years to fulfil its role as a culture and arts centre and one of the symbols of the city.

Today it is publicly-owned (by the Government of Catalonia, Barcelona City Council, Barcelona Provincial Council and the Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte) and administered by the Fundació del Gran Teatre del Liceu which, in addition to the aforementioned bodies, incorporates the Patronage Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu (the old society of owners).
 

Origins: From 1837 to 1847

The Liceu evolved out of the Sociedad Dramática de Aficionados (Society of theatre-lovers) set up in 1837 at the instigation of Manuel Gibert in the former convent of Montsió by members of the National Militia, an organization of armed citizens with liberal leanings.
Barcelona's economy and population were growing fast at the time and the city needed a music conservatory. This led to the conversion of the Sociedad Dramática into the Liceo Filármonico Dramático Barcelonés de S.M. la Reina Isabel II (Barcelona Dramatic and Philharmonic Lyceum of HM Queen Isabel II).  In addition to its theatrical activities, the new organization cultivated Italian-style singing and music.
 

The building on the Rambla

The original building was solemnly opened on 4 April 1847. The plans had been drawn up by Miquel Garriga i Roca, subsequently assisted by Josep Oriol Mestres. The project was funded by selling shares, which meant that many of the boxes and seats were to be privately owned. The shareholders formed the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu, known as the “Societat de Propietaris” (Society of Owners),  which was in sole charge of running the Gran Teatre del Liceu from 1855 onwards, after it was legally separated from the Conservatori del Gran Teatre del Liceu.
The theatre was operated by impresarios who were given a concession to stage a specific number of productions in exchange for the proceeds from the sale of tickets not reserved for the Societat itself. This system was to endure until 1980.
 

The creation of the Consortium

By the last quarter of the 20th century this management system was no longer viable. In 1980, to avert the danger of the disappearance of an institution of such worldwide cultural renown, the Generalitat  Catalonia's first government in modern times – set up a consortium, the Consorci del Gran Teatre del Liceu, which also incorporated Barcelona City Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu. Barcelona Provincial Council joined the Consortium in 1985, followed by the Spanish Ministry of Culture in 1986. From then on the Consortium took over operation of the theatre.

Related events