From Carmen Amaya to Estrella Morente

Buy tickets
PreviousJanuary 2021
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

The Iberian musical landscape as imagined by Falla, Gerhard and Ravel


This programme of musical "postcards" from across the Iberian peninsula is brought to us by the charismatic conductor Josep Pons, well known for his staunch defence of composers' intentions and his unique flair for creating a hallmark sound. Each evokes some memorable instance in which a composer chose to write flamenco dance music or inserted flamenco references into their work. The inclusion of the dances from Don Quixote by Robert Gerhard, the Catalan composer from Valls, reflects the Liceu's desire to help commemorate the 50th anniversary of his death. Gerhard, despite the international influence he exerted, is still largely unknown to our own audiences.

Program and cast

Estrella Morente, singer
Symphony Orchestra of the Gran Teatre del Liceu
Conductor: Josep Pons


Programme


R. Gerhard
Alegrías

M. de Falla
The three-cornered hat

J. Guinjoan
Tribute to Carmen Amaya

M. de Falla
Witchcraft love

Gran Teatre del Liceu

Barcelona's opera house, the Gran Teatre del Liceu, was founded on the Rambla in 1847 and has continued over the years to fulfil its role as a culture and arts centre and one of the symbols of the city.

Today it is publicly-owned (by the Government of Catalonia, Barcelona City Council, Barcelona Provincial Council and the Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte) and administered by the Fundació del Gran Teatre del Liceu which, in addition to the aforementioned bodies, incorporates the Patronage Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu (the old society of owners).
 

Origins: From 1837 to 1847

The Liceu evolved out of the Sociedad Dramática de Aficionados (Society of theatre-lovers) set up in 1837 at the instigation of Manuel Gibert in the former convent of Montsió by members of the National Militia, an organization of armed citizens with liberal leanings.
Barcelona's economy and population were growing fast at the time and the city needed a music conservatory. This led to the conversion of the Sociedad Dramática into the Liceo Filármonico Dramático Barcelonés de S.M. la Reina Isabel II (Barcelona Dramatic and Philharmonic Lyceum of HM Queen Isabel II).  In addition to its theatrical activities, the new organization cultivated Italian-style singing and music.
 

The building on the Rambla

The original building was solemnly opened on 4 April 1847. The plans had been drawn up by Miquel Garriga i Roca, subsequently assisted by Josep Oriol Mestres. The project was funded by selling shares, which meant that many of the boxes and seats were to be privately owned. The shareholders formed the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu, known as the “Societat de Propietaris” (Society of Owners),  which was in sole charge of running the Gran Teatre del Liceu from 1855 onwards, after it was legally separated from the Conservatori del Gran Teatre del Liceu.
The theatre was operated by impresarios who were given a concession to stage a specific number of productions in exchange for the proceeds from the sale of tickets not reserved for the Societat itself. This system was to endure until 1980.
 

The creation of the Consortium

By the last quarter of the 20th century this management system was no longer viable. In 1980, to avert the danger of the disappearance of an institution of such worldwide cultural renown, the Generalitat  Catalonia's first government in modern times – set up a consortium, the Consorci del Gran Teatre del Liceu, which also incorporated Barcelona City Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu. Barcelona Provincial Council joined the Consortium in 1985, followed by the Spanish Ministry of Culture in 1986. From then on the Consortium took over operation of the theatre.

Related events